Damietta Port Authority Facebook page
Tugboats hauling the floating gasification vessel “Energos Winter” (file photo)

After the Damietta attack, Ministry of Transport plans EGP 7B tugboat deal

Mohamed Ismail
Published Monday, August 17, 2026 - 16:42

The Ministry of Transport plans to buy five locally built marine tugboats for up to 7 billion Egyptian pounds ($140 million) as it moves to strengthen Egyptian ports’ ability to respond quickly to emergencies like last month’s attack on Damietta Port, a source familiar with the ministry’s contracting told Al Manassa.

The source, who requested anonymity, said the Damietta attack underscored the need for the new tugboats after four tugs towed a burning vessel 10 kilometers away from the port. 

On July 29, British maritime security firm Ambrey said fires had started aboard two vessels at Damietta Port, the US-owned Energos Winter and GasLog Salem, before the government confirmed 14 hours later that they were caused by a drone attack “for which no party has yet claimed responsibility.”

The source said the new tugboats will be second-generation vessels with a bollard pull of 80 to 90 tons, compared with 60 to 70 tons for first-generation tugs. Deliveries are expected to begin in 2028 and continue for six years, with the vessels used for towing, pilotage, and maneuvering large ships.

“The new tugboats will be supplied by the Misr Tugboat Factory, owned by the Suez Canal Authority, and the South Red Sea Shipyard, as part of a clear push to localize tugboat manufacturing in Egypt,” the source said.

In April 2025, the Suez Canal Authority received the first two second-generation tugboats, Azm 1 and Azm 2, from the Misr Tugboat Factory, which was established in 2024. They were part of a deal to acquire 10 tugboats with a 90-ton bollard pull from the factory.

The new deal is intended to broaden local manufacturing of marine equipment and support operations involving large ships inside and outside ports, the source explained to Al Manassa.

From 2014 through the end of 2025, the Ministry of Transport expanded partnerships with local and foreign investors by awarding the operation of new terminals and berths to consortia that include major global shipping companies alongside Egyptian firms under concession agreements lasting up to 30 years.

The expansion followed a comprehensive seaport development plan involving more than 129 billion pounds ($2.58 billion) in investment, including the construction of more than 70 kilometers of new berths with depths ranging from 18 to 25 meters.

The fleet of marine units operating at ports under the ministry currently includes about 80 tugboats and launches. Of those, 68 operate at Alexandria and Dekheila ports, while the rest are distributed between Damietta Port and Red Sea ports, according to the source.

Egypt has 55 seaports in total, including 18 commercial ports and 37 specialized ports. The Ministry of Transport controls nine: Alexandria, Dekheila, Damietta, Port Tawfik, Suez, Nuweiba, Sharm El-Sheikh, Hurghada, and Safaga.